Paul J. Adams Papers
This collection, the Paul J. Adams Papers, 1921-2016, is composed of early notes and manuscripts, correspondence from Paul J. Adams to Mrs. Arnold C. Moore (Theodosia Sister Moore), and a couple of items concerning Paul J. Adams' influence on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The collection relates to Adams and his 50th Anniversary hike up Mount LeConte in July 1975. In a letter to Moore, he discussed his memories throughout the years on Mount LeConte with friends and park rangers and with various nature societies. Also included is an article about the event, Adams' business card, a couple of photographs, and two signed copies of his book, Mt. LeConte.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.3 Linear Feet
This collection, the Paul J. Adams Papers, 1921-2016, is composed of early notes and manuscripts, correspondence from Paul J. Adams to Mrs. Arnold C. Moore (Theodosia Sister Moore), and a couple of items concerning Paul J. Adams' influence on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The collection includes copies of Adams' book Mt. LeConte and relates to Adams and his 50th Anniversary hike up Mount LeConte in July 1975.
Paul Jay Adams (1901- 1985) was a noted naturalist, malacologist, florist, mason, weaver, and mountain climber. He and his wife Maxine Day Adams ran the Alpine Nursery and a landscaping business from 1945 to 1961, when Paul retired due to arthritis. With Manley Barber, he assembled the largest Tennessee Mollusca collection in existence. Also, Adams built the first cabin on Mount Le Conte and the first camp there for rangers of the Campion Fibre Company. He was a member of the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club, East Tennessee Ornithological Association, and Smoky Mountain Conservation Association, for whom he built the second cabin on Mount Le Conte to guide park rangers when the Great Smoky Mountains was considered for a national park in 1926. Since 1918 until his death in 1985, Adams kept a diary, detailing species and specimen he saw or collected in the forest, including maps, photographs, and field notes.
Collection consists of three folders.
Collection was donated by Theodosia Sister Moore in December 2003.