Childersburg Project Records
Childersburg Project Records, 1955, contain letters between the group entitled Bullard, Caldwell, Scott, and Associates and military personnel for the military construction project contract at several ordnance works, including Childersburg, Ala. A photocopy of the original binder, from which the items were removed, is included. There are also booklets about each of the companies involved (in original order): Bullard Paving Company in Kingsport, Tenn., Caldwell-Scott Constructors in New York City, N.Y., Baker, Smith, and Company, Inc. in New York City, N.Y., Benjamin F. Shaw Company, and Hatzel and Buchler, Inc. They are involved in piping, paving, construction, and air conditioning, heating and ventilation.
This material was stored in a three-ring binder. The items contained date from 1953 to 1954, but the binder would have been compiled in 1955.
- circa 1955
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.2 Linear Feet
Childersburg Project Records, 1955, contain letters between the group entitled Bullard, Caldwell, Scott, and Associates and military personnel for the military construction project contract at several ordnance works, including Childersburg, Ala..
President and Owner Colonel M. M. Bullard established the Bullard Paving Company in Tennessee in 1935. It became involved in the grading, planting, and paving fields, and operated several asphalt plants and other businesses, such as the Bullard Landscape Architect Company.
In 1938, President William W. Caldwell and Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer Henry C. Scott incorporated Caldwell-Scott Constructors in New York. Besides constructing roads and buildings, the company installed utilities, designed factories, and conducted surveys with reports.
Established in 1857 by William C. Baker and John J. Smith for heating and ventilation, the Baker, Smith, & Company, Inc. grew into several fields, including power plants, industrial piping, utility pipe lines, and atomic energy processes (with work on the Manhattan Project and others).
The Benjamin F. Shaw Company was established in 1894. Projects included piping and field radiographic testing. Ten years earlier, Hatzel and Buehler, Inc. was established in the field of electrical construction.
Collection consists of two folders.
This collection is property of the University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections.