Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Lucinda Granny White Property Deed

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2354

The collection contains the original deed for the land on which Lucinda Granny White operated a tavern beginning in 1803. The deed, dated 22 January 1803, features signatures of the seller, Woolsey Warrington, witnesses, and Davidson County officials, Andrew and Nathan Ewing.

Dates

  • 1803 January 22

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

The collection contains the original deed for the land on which Lucinda Granny White operated a tavern beginning in 1803.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1803, Lucinda Granny White moved from North Carolina with her two grandchildren after the death of her husband. She took up the grant for 50 acres of land and opened her tavern. Located only four miles off the Natchez Trace, it was the only inn between Nashville and Franklin, Tennessee. Granny White was a close friend to Senator Thomas Hart Benton, who, for some time, lived on adjacent land. In 1915, she died and was buried near her home.

Arrangement

Collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

The Special Collections Library purchased this collection in June of 2002.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480