Cherokee Indian Fair Photographs
This collection contains copies of five photographs from the Cherokee Indian Fair of 1930, including four images of the ball players and their ball game and one image of a blow gun practice. All item labels are from the back of each photo, and they are in the order received.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains copies of five photographs from the Cherokee Indian Fair of 1930, including four images of the ball players and their ball game and one image of a blow gun practice.
In 1868, the Cherokee Tribal Council officially sanctioned the holding of a fair, but it wasn't officially authorized until 1914, when the first fair was held at the Cherokee Agency Grounds in Cherokee, NC. By 1927, the fair had moved to the Timpson Clay property. It was discontinued during World War II but was reestablished in 1946 as the 29th Annual Cherokee Fair. Problems regarding livestock regulations arose in 1963, causing the fair to close until 1967, when the Cherokee Indian Fair Association revived it. It became a five-day celebration in 1978, and continues as such to this day.
Collection consists of a single folder.
George E. Webb, Jr., donated this collection.