Manuscript on Dr. Tait Butler
This collection contains a bound manuscript, "Dr. Tait Butler," by his son Eugene Butler for 1953. It is typed with occasional handwritten corrections and contains photographs and articles on Butler and his family. The manuscript was presented to the Board of the Tennessee Agricultural Hall of Fame on behalf of Dr. Butler.
Two of the photographs were loose and are thus separate items in the collection. Also, several non-acidic leaves of paper have been put before and after the pages with glued on photographs to keep the glue from discoloring other pages of the book.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.2 Linear Feet
This collection contains a bound manuscript, "Dr. Tait Butler," by his son Eugene Butler from 1953, with photographs and articles.
Dr. Tait Butler (1862-1939) was born in Sterling, Ontario, Canada. He graduated from the Ontario Veterinary College in 1885. He practiced in Ohio, Iowa, and Illinois until 1891 when he went to Mississippi A&M College (now Mississippi State) as its first professor of Zoology and Veterinarian Science. He ran The Southern Farm Gazette, a scientific agricultural paper from 1895 to 1898, then found work with the United States Bureau of Animal Industry in 1899. He began teaching at the Kansas Agricultural College in 1900 and became the State Veterinarian. That year he also served as president of the American Medical Association. He then moved to North Carolina as the State Veterinarian and professor at the Agricultural and Mechanical College. From 1904 to 1908 he was Director the Farmer's Institutes, and the next year he again became editor of The Southern Farm Gazette. The publication changed names to The Progressive Farmer a few years later. He stayed as publisher, vice president, and editor of the journal until his death in 1939.
Collection consists of two folders.
This collection was acquired from the UT Agricultural and Veterinarian Library in July 1994.