Wiley O. Woods Diary
The Wiley O. Woods Diary, 1944-1945, is a copy of Woods' World War II diary. Woods wrote daily about activities, food, mail, missions, and loneliness. The diary covers November 26, 1944 to November 1, 1945 and his time as a navigator for the 309th Squadron.
- 1944 November 26-1945 November 1
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet
The Wiley O. Woods Diary, 1944-1945, consists of a photocopy of Woods' World War II diary. Woods wrote every day from November 26, 1944 to November 1, 1945. Woods' diary gives insight and understanding to flight groups' activities during World War II.
Wiley O. Woods, Jr. was born on January 9th, 1923 to Wiley O. Woods, Sr. and Mattie (Whitehead) Woods. He attended the University of Chattanooga for his undergraduate degree and received his Bachelor of Laws degree from the McKenzie College of Law. He was licensed to practice in Tennessee and Georgia. Woods served in the U. S. Air Force during World War II. While in service, he received a commission as a navigator and crewed a B-24 Liberator in the 90th Bombardment Group in the Pacific. He was a part of the 309th Squadron of the 90th Bombardment Group. After the war ended Woods remained involved with the group, serving as the president of the 90th Bombardment Group Association twice and writing a book titled Legacy of the 90th Bombardment Group: the Jolly Rogers, which was published in 1994. Woods died on October 16th, 2015 and is buried in the Chattanooga National Cemetery in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Collection consists of a single folder.
This collection was donated to Special Collections by Wiley O. Woods in July, 2002.