Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Deaf and Dumb Asylum Photograph

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2749

This photograph shows the residents of the Tennessee Deaf and Dumb Asylum in Knoxville, Tenn., standing on the stairs outside of their building. The photograph is signed by Negly Stewart.

Dates

  • undated

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This photograph shows the residents of the Tennessee Deaf and Dumb Asylum in Knoxville, Tenn., standing on the stairs outside of their building. The photograph is signed by Negly Stewart.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Tennessee School for the Deaf (originally named the Tennessee Deaf and Dumb Asylum) was established in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1844. It was founded through the efforts of Senator John Cocke of Grainger County, Tennessee. Calvin Morgan, a merchant, donated land for the facility, and construction began in 1846. The school operated at that location until 1924, when it moved to it current campus in the Island Home area of Knoxville.

Arrangement

Collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

Special Collections purchased item on May 22, 2006.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480