Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Nolichucky Dam Photo Album

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2772

Collection consists of a photo album documenting the construction of the Nolichucky Dam in Greeneville, Tenn., in 1913. The album consists of a series of 125 photographs documenting the dam's construction over the period of seven months. Each photo is dated; many have captions. The album begins with the flood on the River, March 1, 1913, and ends with a staff picnic on September 9th. All stages of dam construction are presented in the album: coffer dams, foreboys, penstocks, forms, and construction of the power house.

In addition to the documentation of the construction of Nolichucky Dam, the album contains 46 photos documenting the construction of a concrete reservoir, done by the Boston firm A. G. Tomasello & Son, for the Salem, Massachusetts waterworks in 1915.

Dates

  • 1913-1915

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

Collection consists of a photo album documenting the construction of the Nolichucky Dam in Greeneville, Tenn., in 1913. All stages of dam construction are presented in the album: coffer dams, foreboys, penstocks, forms, and the power house. In addition to documenting the construction of Nolichucky Dam, the album contains 46 photos of the construction of a concrete reservoir, done by the Boston firm A. G. Tomasello & Son, for the Salem, Massachusetts waterworks in 1915.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1913, Nolichucky Dam was built on the 46th mile marker of the Nolichucky River over a period of seven months in Greeneville, Tenn. The drainage area covers Greene, Washington, and Unicoi counties in Eastern Tennessee and Yancey, Mitchell, and Avery counties in Western North Carolina. In 1945 TVA bought the dam as a power production facility; however, a large amount of sand and silt had already built up in the Davy Crockett Reservoir and, in 1970, TVA was forced to stop use of the dam as a power facility. Since 1972, the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency has managed the dam as wildlife refuge and evironmental education center.

Arrangement

Collection consists of single folder.

Acquisition Note

Collection was purchased by Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480