Skip to main content


Special Collections Online at UT

R. M. Moore Letter

Identifier: MS-0035

  • Staff Only

In this letter to his friend John D. McAdoo of Clinton, Tennessee, R. M. Moore discusses primarily his health and the state of affairs at East Tennessee University. Moore complains of being unwell, saying that he is sorely afflicted with a severe pain in his head and an aching of his back and limbs that causes his hands to shake and prevents him from studying. He goes on to discuss recent events at the University, including the arrival of a new student from Mississippi (who Moore thinks will consent to join their society) and a recent debate that his team lost. Finally, Moore sends news of the health and activities of several mutual friends.


  • 1847 February 15

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.


0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)


In this letter to his friend John D. McAdoo of Clinton, Tennessee, R. M. Moore discusses his health and the state of affairs at East Tennessee University in addition to sending news of several mutual friends.

Biographical/Historical Note

R. M. Moore attended East Tennessee University from 1846 to 1847.

John David McAdoo was born to John and Mary Ann (Gibbs) McAdoo in Anderson County, Tennessee on April 4, 1824. He graduated from East Tennessee University in 1848 and proceeded to study law and gain admission to the Tennessee Bar. He married Zeralda Prudence (Franklin) Bugg on August 31, 1852 and the couple moved to Texas with their children in 1854. They settled near Washington-on-the-Brazos, where McAdoo practiced law and managed a large plantation. When the Civil War began, he joined the 20th Texas Infantry (CSA) and rose quickly through the ranks. He eventually became a general and commanded the Sixth Military District and the First Frontier District. He returned to his work when the war ended. In 1871, he was appointed Judge of the Seventh Judicial District and served in this capacity until 1873, when Governor Edmund J. Davis appointed him to the Texas Supreme Court. McAdoo resigned in 1874 but was appointed postmaster of Marshall, Texas in 1876 in recognition of his service. He retired to his farm in 1878 and died on June 16, 1883.


This collection consists of a single folder.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA