A. J. Truan Ledgers
This collection consists of two leather-bound ledgers kept by A. J. Truan, of Spring Place (Knox County), Tennessee, documenting transactions taking place between 1880 and 1886. Interested researchers may also wish to consult MS.2954: A. J. Truan Ledger, 1876-1879 and MS.2955: A. J. Truan Ledger, 1911-1913 for more information regarding Truan.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of two leather-bound ledgers kept by A. J. Truan, of Spring Place (Knox County), Tennessee, documenting transactions taking place between 1880 and 1886.
Auguste Jules Truan was born on 13 November 1842 in Montricher, Switzerland to Pierre Louis and Louise Sophie (Rochat) Truan. The family was Protestant, and emigrated to America with Louis' father to escape religious persecution in 1849. They settled in Knoxville, where Louis Truan established a farm, Ebenezer, northeast of Knoxville and began a cheese-making business with his brother-in-law, Auguste Gouffon.
When the Civil War broke out, Auguste Truan and his oldest brother, Henri, traveled to Cincinnati and later Indianapolis to find work and avoid conscription into either the Union or the Confederate Army. The pair returned to Knoxville in 1865, and Auguste married Elisa Buffat (who had also emigrated to the city from Switzerland) on August 18, 1868. They had six children: Frank A., Emily, Auguste J., Louise, Elisa, and Anna. Auguste worked at a number of jobs during his life, including photographer, miller, and farmer. He died on 16 October 1931 in Tusculum, Tennessee, and Elisa followed on 27 August 1933. Both are buried in Spring Place Cemetery.
This collection consists of one folder.
Donated to Special Collections, September 8, 2006.