TVA Photographs of the Building of Norris Dam by the Civilian Conservation Corps
This collection consists of eight Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) photographs that show the building of Norris Dam by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Each photo is an original print taken in 1934 by Moore Photo of Washington, D.C. The photographs include pictures of:
Important erosion dams adjacent to Norris Dam built by CCC under TVA supervision, 1934,
An old mill wheel in action, 1934,
The #18 Civilian Conservation Corps group photo, 1934,
Filling in behind huge abutment, Norris Dam, January 24, 1934,
Work progressing on Norris Dam, February 3, 1934,
Norris Dam as it looked on February 5, 1934,
Looking down on camp from opposite mountain, April 1934,
The Civilian Conservation Corps Officers in Tazewell, Tenn., April 7, 1934.
- 1934 January 24-1934 April 7
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of eight Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) photographs that show the building of Norris Dam by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
President Roosevelt revitalized the widespread unemployment and economic depression in the United States with several measures, including the Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) Act, more commonly known as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
The Tennessee Valley Authority began construction of Norris Dam in 1933, and completed it 1936. Norris Lake is the largest reservoir on a tributary of the Tennessee River, with 809 miles of shoreline and 33,840 acres of water surface. The dam is 265 feet high and stretches 1,860 feet across the Clinch River.
This collection consists of one folder.
Purchased by Special Collections, December 17, 2006.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA