Major Thomas H. Hill Collection
This collection correspondence and a leave of absence card for Major Thomas H. Hill. The first letter, dated June 25, 1896, from E. R. Carter, Commander for the Alabama and Tennessee Division of the Sons of Veterans, is about the application for the Sons of Veterans Camp Charter at Sequachee, Tenn. The second, dated August 15, 1896, from E. R. Carter, inquires about the Sequachee camp and the encouragement of the Grand Army of the Republic (G. A. R.) in the Sons of Veterans. The final letter, dated November 24, 1896, from Halbert B. Case, Commander of the Tennessee Department of the Grand Army of the Republic, requests Major Hill's help in acquiring a petition to secure his appointment to the U. A. Pension Agency at Knoxville, Tenn.
- 1891, 1896
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains three 1896 letters to and a U. S. Army 1891 leave of absence card for Major Thomas H. Hill. The letters discuss a Sequachee, Tenn., Sons of Veterans camp, and a petition for the U. S. Pension Agency.
In 1866, the Grand Army of the Republic organized Union Veterans of the United States Civil War. In 1881, it formed the Sons of Veterans of the United States of America (SV), open to descendents of the Union Veterans. GAR Posts would also sponsor camps for the Sons of Veterans. The GAR ended in 1956, but the SV continues today as the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW).
Collection consists of one folder.
Collection purchased by UT Special Collections Library in February 2007.