Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, Inc., Progress Report

 Collection
Identifier: MS-3126

This collection contains the Progress Report of the Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, Inc., for a Revised Electric Wiring Layout. It includes before and after photographs of the wiring layouts along with blueprints and reports about required up-grading by Truitt Siler and company president George H. McDowell.

Dates

  • 1961, 1963

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains the Progress Report of the Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, Inc., for a Revised Electric Wiring Layout. It includes before and after photographs of the wiring layouts along with blueprints and reports about required up-grading by Truitt Siler and company president George H. McDowell.

Biographical/Historical Note

Taken from a fact sheet within the collection, written in January 1963:

This plant has been operated almost continuously since 1883 under three different company names:-Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, 1883-1914; Johnson City Foundry and Machine Company, 1914-1946; Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, Inc. 1946-to date. On or about 1925 steel fabrications were begun and the registered trade name of Tennessee Bridge & Steel Company is used in connection with the Structural Steel Division.

The plant was first located near Ashe Street Courthouse in about the middle of what is now the Clinchfield Railroad tracks. It was first serviced by a railroad company bought out by the Southern Railway and in 1907 or 1908 the plant was moved to its present location to provide for the expansion of the Clinchfield Railroad. Apparently the plant was first started in order to serve the old ET&WNC Railroad running from Johnson City to Cranberry, which road was opened up to haul iron ore from Cranberry mines to the old Cranberry furnace Company in Johnson City. In a constantly growing area, the demands for the services of the plant have continued although there have been many changes in the type of service which has been required.

The plant has served during war and peace and during World War I shipped many items to Muscle Shoals which we believe is now a part of the TVA System. During World War II, most of its products went into the expansion of the Aluminum industry and the plant was the first in Upper East Tennessee to receive an Army-Navy E for excellence in its production. It also received the Minute-Man Flag for the participation in the U. S. Bond sales, and both the men and the plant have received awards for other participations such as the United Fund Drive, service to Veterans of Foreign Wars, etc.

In 1987, the company faced foreclosure and was thus sold to Tenetek. The majority of its papers reside at the East Tennessee State University, Archives of Appalachia, in Johnson City, Tenn.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one folder.

Acquisition Note

Collection purchased by UTK Special Collections Library in March 2007.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480