James S. Robinson Apothecary Prescription Ledger
This collection consists of a pharmacy ledger containing approximately 3,000 handwritten prescriptions filled by the James S. Robinson Apothecary in Memphis, Tennessee from 1893 May 2 to 1893 June 7. The binder itself bears the title Prescriptions, Vol. 55, JSR 5003 on its spine, and contains a label stating that it was made by S. C. Toof & Co. Printers, Lithographers, & Blank Book Mfrs. - Memphis, Tennessee. The prescriptions, many of which are written in pencil, were date stamped, hand numbered, and initialed by the pharmacist filling the prescription. The prescription numbers start with 1172 and go through 5003. The most common physician names signed include Mitchell,Herbert Jones,Maury,Reeder,D. Sale, and J. M. Will.
- 1893 May 2-1893 June 7
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.5 Linear Feet
This collection consists of a pharmacy ledger containing approximately 3,000 handwritten prescriptions filled by the James S. Robinson Apothecary in Memphis, Tennessee from 1893 May 2 to 1893 June 7.
The James S. Robinson Apothecary was one of the oldest pharmacies in Memphis, Tennessee. It began business during the Civil War and remained a vital part of the region through the early twentieth century.
It is possible that the prescriptions signed by Maury are those of Dr. John Metcalf Maury (1868-1933), a professor of gynecology at the University of Tennessee Nursing School and the gynecologist-in-chief of Memphis General Hospital.
This collection consists of a single bound book.
This collection was purchased by Special Collections in August of 2007.