Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Historical Sketch of the First Presbyterian Church of Knoxville, Tennessee

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0144

In this synopsis, Rev. James Park describes the history of Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church. He begins with its founding in 1796, mentions the development of the church's buildings from 1812 to 1852, and ends by noting that the church's first pastor, Samuel Carrick, died on August 6, 1809 of apoplexy. This item is a transcript of the original prepared by John S. Van Gilder on November 11, 1935.

Dates

  • 1901 August

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

In this synopsis, Rev. James Park describes the history of Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church. He begins with its founding in 1796, mentions the development of the church's buildings from 1812 to 1852, and ends by noting that the church's first pastor, Samuel Carrick, died on August 6, 1809 of apoplexy. This item is a transcript of the original prepared by John S. Van Gilder on November 11, 1935.

Biographical/Historical Note

James Park was born to James and Sophia Moody Park on September 18, 1822 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He married Phebe Caruthers Alexander (1825-1908) of Lexington, Virginia on May 27, 1847 and the couple had nine children, Sophia Moody (Park) Brooks (1849-1886), John Preston (1851-1907), Juliet (Park) White (1859-1938), Sallie Caruthers (Park) Hughes (1855-), Mary (1856-), James Welcker (1859-1902), William Alexander (1863-1902), Harriet (Park) Thomas (1865-1935), and Andrew (1868-1917). Park served as Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee from 1866 until 1905 and as Pastor Emeritus from 1905 to 1912. He died on July 14, 1912 in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

John S. Van Gilder donated this typescript to Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480