Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Opening New Doors for Young Women: The History of Knoxville Female Academy

 Collection
Identifier: MS-3354

Maureen Carlomagno authored this research paper, entitled "Opening New Doors for Young Women: The History of Knoxville Female Academy" and dated April 14, 1997, for an English III AP class. The paper itself consists of a title page, an eight page outline, and a nine page report describing the history of women's education in Knoxville, Tennessee from 1827 to 1924. Carlomagno mentions a number of prominent Knoxvillians and educational pioneers, including Lizzie Crozier French.

Dates

  • 1997 April 14

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

Maureen Carlomagno authored this research paper, entitled "Opening New Doors for Young Women: The History of Knoxville Female Academy" and dated April 14, 1997, for an English III AP class. The paper itself consists of a title page, an eight page outline, and a nine page report describing the history of women's education in Knoxville, Tennessee from 1827 to 1924. Carlomagno mentions a number of prominent Knoxvillians and educational pioneers, including Lizzie Crozier French.

Biographical/Historical Note

Blount College in Knoxville, Tennessee was originally opened in 1794 to both men and women, but by 1811 it was an all male institution. The Knoxville Female Academy was established to provide higher education for young women in Knoxville. It was chartered in 1811 but it was several years until enough money was raised for a building to be constructed. The school went through periods of slow growth and revitalization. In 1846, when control of the academy was transferred to the Episcopalian Church, it was renamed the East Tennessee Female Institute.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

This report was donated to Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480