Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

W. S. Nash Medical School Notebooks

 Collection
Identifier: MS-3457

These two notebooks belonged to Walter Starnes Nash, who used them to take notes in his medical courses at the University of Michigan in 1888 and 1889. During these years, he took Physical Diagnosis, Theory and Practice, Physiology, Nervous Diseases, Genealogy, Surgery, Pathology, Physiology, Sanitary Science, Physiological Chemistry, Urinary Analysis, Bright’s Disease, Neurology, Obstetrics, Surgery, and Pathology. Nash’s professors for these courses included Dr. Henry Francis Lyster, Dr. Martin, Dr. Donald Maclean, Dr. V. C. Vaughn, and Dr. Gibbs.

Dates

  • 1888-1889

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet

Abstract

These two notebooks belonged to Walter Starnes Nash, who used them to take notes in his medical courses at the University of Michigan in 1888 and 1889. During these years, he took Physical Diagnosis, Theory and Practice, Physiology, Nervous Diseases, Genealogy, Surgery, Pathology, Physiology, Sanitary Science, Physiological Chemistry, Urinary Analysis, Bright’s Disease, Neurology, Obstetrics, Surgery, and Pathology. Nash’s professors for these courses included Dr. Henry Francis Lyster, Dr. Martin, Dr. Donald Maclean, Dr. V. C. Vaughn, and Dr. Gibbs.

Biographical/Historical Note

Walter Starnes Nash (1865-1944) was born in Chicago, spent his childhood in Kentucky, and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1889. He married Eva Winter in 1891, and the couple moved to Knoxville, Tennessee where they had one daughter, Eva Lavinia. She married Ray H. Jenkins (known as the Terror of Tellico Plains) on November 20, 1926. Nash became a prominent surgeon, serving as the Chief of Staff at Knoxville General Hospital, as Professor of Anatomy and Abdominal Surgery at Tennessee Medical College, and as a surgeon for the Southern Railway and the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. He was also involved in the Knoxville community, serving as a City Councilman and as President of the Tennessee State Health Officers Association. In addition, Nash fought in the Spanish-American War and worked as a medical examiner for the draft board during World War I. The family built and lived in the former home of the President of the University of Tennessee (now known as Nash Hall) on Cherokee Boulevard in Sequoyah Hills.

Arrangement

This collection consists of two boxes.

Acquisition Note

These volumes were donated to Special Collections in 1990.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480