Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

University of Tennessee College of Medicine and Dentistry Commencement Programs

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0112

This collection houses programs (including information about events, speakers, and meetings) documenting the commencement exercises of the University of Tennessee's College of Medicine and Dentistry from 1905 to 1974. After 1924, commencement exercises included a School of Nursing, and after 1938, a School of Biological Sciences. By 1974, the commencement exercises included the College of Medicine, the College of Dentistry, the College of Nursing, the College of Pharmacy, the Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the College of Community and Allied Health Professions. The program for 1923 is bound in leather and includes a nameplate for Dr. Luther Byron Newman.

Dates

  • 1905-1974

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses programs (including information about events, speakers, and meetings) documenting the commencement exercises of the University of Tennessee's College of Medicine and Dentistry from 1905 to 1974.

Biographical/Historical Note

The medical department of the University of Tennessee had its roots in the 1850s. During this time, two doctors began a medical school in Nashville and associated themselves with the University of Nashville. In the 1870s, Nashville Medical College opened its doors and quickly became affiliated with the University of Tennessee. The College organized a Dental department in 1878 and by 1909 boasted three programs of study.

In 1909, the University of Tennessee, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Nashville began considering consolidating their medical units. Vanderbilt was unable to agree to the merger, but the other two institutions combined their programs to become the Medical School of the University of Nashville and the University of Tennessee. Their teaching hospital was the Tennessee Hospital located at 614 Broadway in Nashville. The program operated during the 1909-1910 school year, but the arrangement proved to be difficult. Construction of a planned new teaching hospital was delayed due to funding problems, and Abraham Flexner (director of the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research) declared in 1910 that, with the exception of Vanderbilt, Tennessee medical schools were worthless. The General Assembly rejected funding for the program in 1911, and as a result the new hospital was never built. Already in significant debt, the University of Nashville sold all of its equipment to the University of Tennessee, which moved its program to Memphis to avoid the difficulties attendant upon maintaining a program in Nashville.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one folder.

Acquisition Note

This collection was donated to the University Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480