Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Tennessee School of Religion Records

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0165

This collection houses official records, correspondence, newspaper clippings, course outlines, reports, and other materials documenting the Tennessee School of Religion between 1923 and 1969.

Dates

  • 1923-1969
  • Majority of material found within 1955-1969

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

4 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses official records, correspondence, newspaper clippings, course outlines, reports, and other materials documenting the Tennessee School of Religion between 1923 and 1969.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Tennessee School of Religion was chartered by a group of ministers and laymen representing ten Knoxville Protestant churches in October of 1928 as a college to give religious instructions to the students of The University of Tennessee. Although U. T. students could receive credit for courses taken at the School, it was never formally linked with or financed by the University. The group's charter was modified in 1954 when it began teaching classes at U. T. Martin. The School was phased out after the University established a formal Religious Studies Department in 1965.

Arrangement

This collection consists of four boxes.

Acquisition Note

These records are property of the University of Tennessee's Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480