Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

W. W. Woodruff Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0234

This collection contains two ledgers of purchased items by John Cruze in 1868 and 1869, from Woodruff’s hardware store, both noting the purchase of hardware and house items. Also contained is a receipt of payment from John Cruze, signed by Woodruff. There is a certificate for one share of stock in the Eastern Division Fair Association is awarded to the W.W. Woodruff Company. There is also a Certificate of Distinction from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, giving W. W. Woodruff a note of distinction in Latin, dated June 5, 1888.

Dates

  • 1868 June-1888 June 5

Language

The material in this collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains two ledgers of purchased items from John Cruze in 1868 and 1869, from Woodruff’s hardware store. Also contained is a receipt of payment from John Cruze, signed by Woodruff, a certificate for one share of stock in the Eastern Division Fair Association, and a Certificate of Distinction from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, giving W. W. Woodruff a note of distinction in Latin, dated June 5, 1888.

Biographical/Historical Note

William Wallace Woodruff was born in 1840 in Kentucky. During the Civil War, he served as an Adjutant and later as a Captain in the 18th Kentucky Infantry. When the war ended, he settled in Knoxville and opened a hardware store, W. W. Woodruff & Company, on Gay Street. In spite of catastrophic fires in 1897 and 1904, Woodruff's business flourished for many years. Woodruff died on January 31, 1926 in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Acquisition Note

This collection was donated to Special Collections by W. W. Woodruff.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480