Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

East Tennessee University Civil War Photograph

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0236

This collection contains an oversized photograph of the East Tennessee University during the Civil War. It was taken from the south side of the Tennessee River looking towards the Hill and shows Old College, East College, and West College. An unidentified encampment is visible in the foreground.

Dates

  • 1860s

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains an oversized photograph of the East Tennessee University during the Civil War. It was taken from the south side of the Tennessee River looking towards the Hill and shows Old College, East College, and West College.

Biographical/Historical Note

East Tennessee University was the predecessor of the University of Tennessee. It shut down in 1862 when Confederate Armies occupied the three main college buildings on the Hill. The buildings were used as barracks and hospitals for the wounded and were occupied later by the Union Army for the same purposes. Following the War, the buildings were restored and remained in use until 1919, when they were demolished to make way for Ayres Hall.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one item.

Acquisition Note

Collection was donated to University Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480