Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Agency for International Development and College of Agriculture Records

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0387

The majority of this collection consists of correspondence, reports, and other records documenting the University of Tennessee's participation in a multi-university program coordinated by the Agency for International Development (USAID) to promote agricultural research and education in India during the late 1960s and early 1970s. UT faculty and staff taught primarily at Mysore State in Southwestern India until the program was dismantled in 1972. Other materials show the operations of the College of Agriculture and specifically the Forestry program from the 1920s to the 1960s.

Dates

  • 1925-1974

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

21 Linear Feet

Abstract

The majority of this collection consists of correspondence, reports, and other records documenting the University of Tennessee's participation in a multi-university program coordinated by the Agency for International Development (USAID) to promote agricultural research and education in India during the late 1960s and early 1970s. UT faculty and staff taught primarily at Mysore State in Southwestern India until the program was dismantled in 1972. Other materials show the operations of the College of Agriculture and specifically the Forestry program from the 1920s to the 1960s.

Biographical/Historical Note

East Tennessee University established an Agricultural Course in 1869 as a result of the Morrill Act, which provided funds to support agriculture and mechanical education at the state's land grant colleges. Students in this program studied such subjects as botany, zoology, and agricultural chemistry in addition to English, engineering, one modern language, and other topics. The program was renamed the College of Agriculture in 1878 and was briefly known as the School of Agriculture before being returned to college status. A two-year forestry program was established at the insistence of TVA officials in the 1930s. As the college grew, it added MS (1930) and PhD (1966) programs in addition to participating in national programs to support agriculture in developing countries. Today, the program is called the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and includes the departments of Agricultural and Research Economics, Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications, Animal Sciences, Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science, Entomology and Plant Pathology, Food Science and Technology, Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries, and Plant Sciences.

Arrangement

This collection consists of twenty-one boxes.

Acquisition Note

These records are property of the University of Tennessee's Archives.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480