Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

James White Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0301

This collection consists of papers documenting James White of Knoxville, Tennessee, including genealogical records from the White family Bible and a photocopy of a legal document. A short biography of James White is also included.

Dates

  • circa 1800, 1924, undated

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection consists of papers documenting James White of Knoxville, Tennessee, including genealogical records from the White family Bible and a photocopy of a legal document. A short biography of James White is also included.

Biographical/Historical Note

James White was born in Rowan County, North Carolina in 1747. He fought in the Revolutionary War from 1779 to 1781, attaining the rank of Captain of Militia in the Continental Army. In 1783 he toured the Tennessee Valley around Knoxville to look for land, as he was entitled to a land warrant because of his military service. In 1786 he settled on the present site of Knoxville and built White's Fort. When the Territory South of the River Ohio was separated from North Carolina, White's Fort and the surrounding town (renamed Knoxville) became its seat of government. James White served as the presiding Justice of the Peace for Knox County when it was founded in 1791. He was a member of the Tennessee Constitutional Convention in 1796, and afterward served as a state senator, becoming speaker of the Tennessee Senate in 1801 and 1803. He also owned several grist mills and donated land to Blount College, the ancestor of the University of Tennessee. He died on August 14, 1821 on his farm near Knoxville.

James White married Mary Lawson in 1770, and the couple had seven children. Their oldest, Hugh Lawson White, served on the Tennessee Supreme Court, was named a United States District Attorney, and served in the U. S. Senate.

Arrangement

Collection consists of a single folder.

Acquisition Note

Collection is property of Special Collections.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480