Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

G. W. Telford Address Regarding Reverend Samuel Doak

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0143

In this address, Colonel G. W. Telford provides a sketch of Samuel Doak's life, including the founding of the Salem (Tennessee) Church. Telford includes an incomplete list of the Presidents of Washington College and the pastors of the Salem Church. This manuscript was reproduced as part of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) program.

Dates

  • 1872 October 1, 1900 February 5

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

In this address, Colonel G. W. Telford provides a sketch of Samuel Doak's life, including the founding of the Salem (Tennessee) Church. Telford includes an incomplete list of the Presidents of Washington College and the pastors of the Salem Church. This manuscript was reproduced as part of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) program.

Biographical/Historical Note

Samuel Doak was born to Samuel and Jane (Mitchell) Doak in Augusta County, Virginia in August of 1849. He devoted himself to religious study at the age of sixteen and earned his B. A. from the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) in 1775. After completing this degree, he returned to Virginia and married Esther Houston Montgomery (1760-1807) on October 31, 1775. The couple had seven children: Julia (Doak) Lowry (1776-1857), John Whitefield (1778-1820), Lucinda (Doak) Baldridge (1782-1825), Samuel Witherspoon Doak (1785-1864), Jane Rowe (Doak) Rice (1787-1828), Nancy A. (Doak) Mitchell Broyles (1790-1874), and Polly Montgomery (Doak) Davit (1792-). Doak completed his religious studies under Samuel Stanhope Smith at Liberty Hall and was licensed to preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Hanover in October of 1777. Doak rode circuit in eastern Tennessee until settling in Sullivan County. The family moved to Washington County in 1780, where Doak formed the Salem Church and chartered St. Martin's Academy (now Washington College). He served as President of the College from 1795 to 1818, when he turned it over to his eldest son. He was also involved with the short-lived State of Franklin. Doak and his second wife, Margaretta (Houston) McEwen (d. 1831), later moved to Bethel, Tennessee where Samuel Doak and his son Samuel W. Doak taught at Tusculum College. Samuel Doak died on December 12, 1830 and is buried in Salem Cemetery.

George Whitfield Telford was born to Thomas Alexander and Miriam (Mathes) Telford on October 10, 1803. He earned his A.B. and M.A. degrees from Washington College and went on to operate a flour mill and the Telford Manufacturing Company, serve as a trustee for Washington College, and represent Greene, Hawkins, and Washington Counties in the Tennessee House of Representatives (1851-1853). Telford also served as a director of the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad and commanded the 130th Tennessee Militia (1833). He married Amanda Duff Hannah (1807-1876) on February 26, 1824 and the couple had twelve daughters: Miriam Jane (Telford) Earnest, Margaret Amelia (Telford) Cowan, Mary Elizabeth, Esther Caroline, Lucinda McClung (Telford) Oliphant, Nancy Ann (Telford) Broyles, Amanda Eveline (Telford) West, Addie Grace (Telford) Hannah, Sophia Alice (Telford) Barkley, Frances Rutelia (Telford) Barkley, Emma Clara (Telford) McClure, and Esther Josephine (Telford) Faw. G. W. Telford died on April 6, 1887 and is buried in Salem Cemetery.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480