Grindstaff's School-House Charter
The hand-written charter for Grindstaff’s School-House, dated 1881, dictates the rules and regulations associated with working with “The Corporation” as well as assigning roles, salaries, elections, and introducing new members into the agreement of establishing a “literary institution” in Blount County, TN. The charter was also signed and stamped (state seal) by the Secretary of State for Tennessee, David A. Nunn (1833-1918). Dr. B.B. Cates signed the charter on April 5, 1881.
- 1881 April 25-May 2
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
The hand-written document from 1881 is a charter for Grindstaff’s School-House in Blount County, TN. Signed by the Secretary of State for Tennessee, David A. Nunn (1833-1918), the charter or legal contract between “The Corporation” and the school-house detailed the rules and regulations of their cooperation.
The document is a stapled school-house charter for Blount County, Tn in 1881. The charter had to be signed by the Secretary of the State of Tennessee, David A. Nunn (1833-1918) on April 25, 1881 in order to be legally binding. The charter for Grindstaff’s School-House was a legal contract in which “The Corporation” and the school-house were in agreement to abide by the conditions set in the charter. The details of charter consisted of the rules to which people can take office, elect members into office, and delegate salaries and roles of each position in “The Corporation.”
Dr. B.B. Cates gifted the charter to Special Collections in 1940.