James Park Letter to Brown Ayres
This May 19, 1911, letter from James Park to Brown Ayres is a reply to a request by Mr. Ayres for Mr. Park to be present and to give the prayer at the Professor Copper S. Schmitt memorial service at the chapel on May 29. Mr. Park mentions his willingness to accept the request.
- 1911 May 19
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
This May 19, 1911, letter from James Park to Brown Ayres is a reply to a request by Mr. Ayres for Mr. Park to be present and to give the prayer at the Professor Copper S. Schmitt memorial service at the chapel on May 29.
Brown Ayres was born on May 25, 1856 to Samuel Warren and Elizabeth Little (Cook) Ayres in Memphis, Tennessee. He earned his BS (1878) and MS (1888) degrees in Engineering from the Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey. In 1880, he became a professor of physics and electrical engineering at Tulane University in Louisiana. He married Katie Allen Anderson on July 5, 1881 and the couple had eight children: Martha Garland (Ayres) Newman (1883-1982), Samuel Warren (1886-1915), John Anderson (1890-1969), Elizabeth Cook (Ayres) Link Ayres May (1893-1980), Mary Douglas (Ayres) Ewell (1895-1999), Katherine Stewart (Ayres) Watson (1897-1990), Ruth Virginia (1899-1987), and Morgan Brown (1902-1981). Ayres rose rapidly through the ranks at Tulane, where he remained until accepting the presidency of the University of Tennessee in 1905.
As president, Ayres made a number of notable improvements to the University. He increased the number of faculty and students, made the College of Liberal Arts equal in stature to the Colleges of Agriculture and Engineering, enlarged the College of Agriculture, elevated the departments of Law, Medicine, and Dentistry to Colleges, constructed a separate library, stiffened academic requirements (resulting in recognition by the American Association of Universities), reorganized the Board of Trustees, established scholarships to attract students from outside the Knoxville area, merged the Medical and Dental Colleges with the University, and made the Summer School of the South a regular part of the University program. Ayres died on January 28, 1919 in Knoxville, Tennessee.
James Park was born to James and Sophia Moody Park on September 18, 1822 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He married Phebe Caruthers Alexander (1825-1908) of Lexington, Virginia on May 27, 1847 and the couple had nine children, Sophia Moody (Park) Brooks (1849-1886), John Preston (1851-1907), Juliet (Park) White (1859-1938), Sallie Caruthers (Park) Hughes (1855-), Mary (1856-), James Welcker (1859-1902), William Alexander (1863-1902), Harriet (Park) Thomas (1865-1935), and Andrew (1868-1917). Park served as Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee from 1866 until 1905 and as Pastor Emeritus from 1905 to 1912. He died on July 14, 1912 in Knoxville, Tennessee.
This material is in one folder.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA