William W. Carson Academic Report
This collection consists of an academic report for William W. Carson dated February 10th, 1867, signed by the president of Washington College, Robert E. Lee.
- 1867 February 10
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
This collection consists of an academic report for William W. Carson, signed by the president of Washington College, Robert E. Lee.
William Waller Carson was born in Mississippi on June 2, 1845, to Dr. James Greene and Catherine Waller Carson. He was raised primarily in Louisiana. In 1863, he enlisted in the 4th Louisiana Cavalry Regiment (CSA), where he served until 1865. After the war, he resumed his education and graduated from Washington College (later Washington and Lee University) with his Civil Engineering (C. E.) degree in 1868 and his Mining Engineering (M. E.) degree in 1869. After graduation, he worked on several civil engineering projects before becoming a professor of mathematics at Davidson College (North Carolina) in 1877. He held this post until 1883. He married Rachel Finnie of Memphis, Tennessee, in December of 1880, and they had three children. In 1885, he became a professor of civil engineering at the University of Tennessee. For many years, Uncle Billy (as his students called him) constituted the University's entire Civil Engineering Department. He retired from this post in 1916.
Washington and Lee College was founded was established in 1749 as Augusta Academy. In 1776, it was renamed Liberty Hall to boost revolutionary enthusiasm. In 1796, George Washington donated to the college and the name was changed to Washington Academy in honor of his support and in 1813 the name was chartered to Washington College.
After the Civil War, Robert E. Lee became the President of the college in 1865. Lee served as the University President for five years until his death in 1870. After his death, the university was renamed Washington and Lee University.
This collection is in one folder.
This collection was donated by Katherine Carson.