Farragut School Papers
This collection consists of committee meeting notes about building decisions, articles on the history of the school, and land indentures related to Farragut High School. The initial land for the school was officially purchased in 1903; however a committee started the discussion on the possibility of establishing a High School in the 10th District of Knox County, Tennessee in 1902.
- 1902 April 26-1914 January 31, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
This collection consists of committee meeting notes about building decisions, articles on the history of the school, and land indentures related to Farragut High School.
Farragut High School was built in the 10th district of Knox County, Tennessee in 1904. It was named for the famous Civil War Admiral, who was a native of East Tennessee, David Glasgow Farragut. A group of pioneer educators came together to establish the first rural high school in East Tennessee. Their first meeting took place on April 26, 1902. The first building was erected in 1904 on part of the Estate of Mr. W. A. Doughty, northeast of Campbell Station. Dr. P. O. Claxton and Mr. C.H. Stoltzfus were the main contributors to the school successful build. The building was hardly well established until it was burned. The committee, Claxton, and Stoltzfus did not give up on the school dream. A new building was erected on the same site as the old one in 1905. In 1914, the annual enrollment was approximately 80 to 100 students and split equally between boys and girls. Students had a variety of classes to choose from home economics to agriculture. In 1976 the school was moved to its current location on a hill overlooking Farragut.
This collection was donated to Special Collections by Charles Ferris.