George Washington Letter and Masonic Medal
This collection consists of an incomplete letter dated June 2, 1796 from George Washington to Gov. William Blount and a Masonic Medal given to James H Grant by Washington. Major James Grant was credited with founnding the first Masonic Lodge in Knoxville.
- 1796 June 12, undated
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder in a flat box)
This collection consists of an incomplete letter dated June 2, 1796 from George Washington to Gov. William Blount and a Masonic Medal given to James H. Grant by Washington.
George Washington was born on February 22, 1732 in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He was the son of Augustine Washington and Mary Ball. George was the eldest of the couple’s six children. Washington's father died when he was 11, and he became the ward of his half-brother, Lawrence. After his brother died in 1752, George Washington became the head of Virginia's biggest estate Mount Vernon at the age of 20. He was appointed adjutant with a rank of major in the Virginia militia. Washington served in the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War. In 1758, he resigned from military duty and went back to his beloved Mount Vernon.
Shortly after leaving the army, he married Martha Dandridge Custis. George raised Martha's two children from a prior marriage. In 1789, Washington became the first President of the United States by Electoral College vote. He served two terms. He retired in 1797 to his home in Virginia. Washington died on December 12, 1799.
This collection is in a single flat box.
This material is stored in Special Collections Reserve.
This collection was donated in 1945 to Special Collections by W.C. Taylor of Knoxville, an alumnus of the University of Tennessee.