N. E. Fitzgerald Letters
This collection contains letters dating from 1943 until 1946 both addressed to and written by N. E. Fitzgerald, a professor and Dean at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. As a staff member of the Agricultural Department, the students addressed in the letters are former students of Fitzgerald's from before the war. These students served in all theatres of war during the conflict, in various capacities, as both enlisted personnel and officers.
The correspondence includes hand-written and type-written letters, as well as various Christmas and Holiday cards and post cards from around the world. Also included are publications from the University of Tennessee that memorialize the students that lost their lives in World War II, and news articles from the period detailing aspects of the war.
The collection also contains examples of foreign currency obtained during the war. These are mostly paper pesos, printed by the Japanese Government during its occupation of the Philipines. Also included are Reichsbank Marks, printed in Germany in the 1930s.
- 1943 January 4-1946 November 21
The language of the materials is English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.5 Linear Feet
This collection contains letters both addressed to and written by N. E. Fitzgerald, a professor and Dean at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The letters are correspondence between N. E. Fitzgerald and former students, then serving in all theatres of operation during World War II. The correspondence dates from 1943 to 1946.
N. E. Fitzgerald served in the Agricultural Department of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, as a professor before World War II. During the War, he became Dean of the Agricultural Department.
N. E. Fitzgerald donated this collection to the University in the 1963/64 school year.