The Tennessee Valley Authority in Hamblen County
This collection consists of one chapter written by Jess Mills on the history of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in Hamblen County. In the article, Mills discusses how the establishment of the TVA has affected East Tennessee and Hamblen County financially, economically, and culturally.
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of one chapter written by Jess Mills on the history of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in Hamblen County.
The Tennessee Valley Authority is an independent public corporation founded by Congress in 1933 to control flooding, improve navigation, assist farmers, provide cheap electric power, and make surveys of and general plans for the Tennessee River basin and adjoining territory for the general purpose of fostering the orderly and proper physical, economic, and social development of the Tennessee Valley. The TVA Act was signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 18, 1933 as part of the New Deal's First Hundred Days.
By the time TVA was implemented into Hamblen County, the county was at the bottom of the Great Depression, land and real estate values had declined, banks had failed, un employment was on the rise, and several businesses had closed to bankruptcy. After TVA was implemented, economic conditions started to change. There was a significant rise in living standards, recreational development, and community improvement.
This collection consists of a single folder.
This collection was donated to Special Collections.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA