Littleton W. Tazewell Correspondence
The first letter, written on April 12, 1840, from Mr. McClung, describes the death of Mr. Lawson White at eight o’clock on that past Friday. He had been sick for a long time and died with his friends and family around him. Mr. McClung, at the request of Mrs. White, wrote about the love Mr. White had for Tennessee. The second letter, written on March 16, 1825 by a Mr. Eaton, explains the fifty dollars Tazewell received and how it is to be used by Tazewell in any way. He wishes Tazewell good luck and good health to him and his family.
- 1825 March 16, 1840 April 12
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
These letters to Littleton W. Tazwell discuss a bank deposit that was distributed to him on March 16, 1825 and the death of a relative on April 12, 1840.
Littleton Waller Tazewell was born on December 17, 1774, in Williamsburg, Virginia. His parents, Henry Tazewell and Dorothea Elizabeth Waller, had two children: Littleton and Sophia Ann. After graduating from the College of William and Mary in 1791, he set out to pursue the study and practice of law. From the years 1798-1800, Tazewell served in Virginia’s House of Delegates. He married Ann Stratton Nivison on July 15, 1802. Immediately afterwards, he found a position in the House of Representatives and continued for three more terms in office. In 1824, Tazewell was awarded the title of Senator of Virginia until 1832. Two years later in 1834, Littleton Tazewell served as governor for the state of Virginia until his retirement in 1836. He passed away on May 6, 1860, in Norfolk, Virginia. His is buried at the Elmwood Cemetery.
This collection was purchased by Special Collections in 1975.