Isaac Anderson Letter
This collection is a letter dated December 27, 1837, from Isaac Anderson to B.D. Brabson and L.J. Walker respectfully declining a dinner invitation due to Anderson’s brother and sister visiting.
- 1837 December 27
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
This collection is a letter dated December 27, 1837, from Isaac Anderson to B.D. Brabson and L.J. Walker.
Reverend Isaac L. Anderson was born in Virginia to William Dabney (1758-1830) and Agnes "Nancy" (McCampbell) (1757-1837) Anderson on March 28, 1870. Anderson was educated in a traditional log schoolhouse before attending Liberty Hall Academy (now Washington and Lee University). He joined the Presbyterian church at the age of 17. In 1802, Anderson married Florence "Flora" McCampbell (1782-1852) and the couple moved to Knoxville, Tennessee. Anderson became an ordained Presbyterian minister on November 26th, 1802 at the Washington Meeting House (later called Washington Presbyterian Church). In 1812, Anderson moved to nearby Maryville, Tennessee to become the pastor of New Providence Presbyterian Church. In 1819, he founded the Southern and Western Theological Seminary, which was renamed Maryville College in 1842. Isaac and Florence had one child, Samuel E. Hoyst B. Anderson (1810-1841). Samuel had one biological child named Isaac F. Anderson (1841-1861) and one foster son, Samuel A. Caldwell (1854-1859). Isaac Anderson died on January 28, 1857. The Anderson family was initially buried in the New Providence Cemetery but were later moved to the Maryville College Cemetery in 1933.
This collection is in one folder.
This collection was donated by Mrs. Ben Brabson in 1975.