Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Gideon Cate Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0891

This collection consists primarily of receipts and correspondence documenting Gideon Cate's general store in Blountville, Tennessee between 1837 and 1889. Also included is a photograph of the building Cate's business was housed in, several land deeds showing how Cate expanded his holdings, and Cate's phrenological profile. Additionally, the collection houses a photograph of a sophomore botany class at the University of Tennessee and a receipt of funds from Nathaniel Hart, dated from 1797.

Dates

  • 1797 February 27-1876 May 26, undated

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.3 Linear Feet (3 folders)

Abstract

This collection consists primarily of receipts and correspondence documenting Gideon Cate's general store in Blountville, Tennessee between 1837 and 1889. Also included is a photograph of the building Cate's business was housed in, several land deeds showing how Cate expanded his holdings, and Cate's phrenological profile. Additionally, the collection houses a photograph of a sophomore botany class at the University of Tennessee and a receipt of funds from Nathaniel Hart, dated from 1797.

Biographical/Historical Note

Gideon Cate was born to Thomas and Mary Rebecca (Lawrence) Cate in Sevier County, Tennessee in September of 1830. In the early 1850s, he traveled to Blountville, Tennessee where he met and married Mary Elizabeth Mollie Hamilton. The couple had eight children: Elizabeth (1860-), John T., Robert Hamilton (1863-1945), George Wallace, William J. (1869-), Samuel Gordon (1871-1955), Charles Jacob, and Mary Emma (Cate) Morrell (1878-1940). For much of his life, Gideon Cate was the proprietor of a general store and apothecary shop (located in the same building as his home) in Blountville. He originally operated the store with William H. Crouch under the name Crouch & Cate but became sole proprietor when Crouch sold his interest in 1860. The firm collapsed in approximately 1879. Gideon Cate most likely died in Sullivan County in 1907.

Arrangement

This collection consists of three folders.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480