Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

"A Historical Sketch of the Presbyterian Church of Greeneville, Tennessee"

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0905

Reverend John E. Alexander presented this sketch to the Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia on July 2, 1876. In it, he details the history of the Presbyterian Church of Greeneville, Tennessee (previously known as Harmony and Mt. Bethel), including a list of the members of the church's session since its early years.

Dates

  • 1876 July 2

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Abstract

Reverend John E. Alexander presented this sketch to the Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia on July 2, 1876. In it, he details the history of the Presbyterian Church of Greeneville, Tennessee (previously known as Harmony and Mt. Bethel), including a list of the members of the church's session since its early years.

Biographical/Historical Note

John Edmiston Alexander was born to Samuel Edmiston and Mary (Alexander) Alexander on June 2, 1815. He attended Jefferson College and later Princeton Theological Seminary. Alexander married Mary Milliken (1820-1855) in 1842, and the couple had five children: Samuel Millikin (1843-), Robert Wilson (1845-1924), Anna Mary (1842-), Martha A. (Alexander) Shangle (1850-), and John E. Alexander (1854-). After Mary's death in 1855, John married Catharine Milligan Potter in 1856. John and Catharine had four children: Catharine, Daniel Potter, Susan, and William. Alexander was licensed by the Huntingdon Presbytery in 1842 and served as pastor of churches in Indiana (Penn.) and Washington and Senecaville (Ohio) in addition to working as the principal of Miller Academy (Zanesville, Ohio), founding Hightstown Classical Institute, and teaching at Ridley Park Academy before taking charge of the Presbyterian Church in Greeneville (Tenn.) in 1875. John E. Alexander died on April 4, 1902.

The Presbyterian Church of Greeneville, Tennessee began in 1780 when Samuel Doak preached at a gathering of worshippers. Mt. Bethel Presbyterian Church was formally organized in 1783 with Hezekiah Balch as the first pastor. The church's name changed to Greeneville Presbyterian Church in 1840 and finally to First Presbyterian Church in 1940.

Arrangement

This collection consists of a single folder.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480