George S. Baker Collection of Hales Bar Photographs
This collection consists of photographs depicting Hales Bar Dam in Guild (Haletown), Marion County, Tennessee, during construction. Some photographs are dated, all between 1910 and 1912. Images show construction, waterviews, electric cableway, and men who worked on the project.
Most names are included on the back of the photographs of individuals. One wide postcard labeled “East Side Camp March 1912” depicts the workers’ camp and labels the buildings with a handwritten number key. Others include brief descriptions of the photograph’s content.
This material is written in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet (2 folders)
This collection consists of photographs depicting Hales Bar Dam in Guild (Haletown), Marion County, Tennessee, during construction.
Hales Bar Dam was built by the Chattanooga and Tennessee River Power Company from 1905 to 1913. Built along the Tennessee River in Marion County, Tenn., it was one of the earliest dams built in Tennessee. In 1939, the Tennessee Valley Authority purchased the dam, but due to continued problems such as leakage, the dam was replaced with the Nickajack Dam built downstream from it in 1968.
George S. Baker was the superintendent and general manager of the Hales Bar Dam project in 1910. Baker and his family lived in Guild, Tenn. until his death in 1916.
This collection is in two folders.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA