Tennessee Valley Authority Photographs
This is a collection of 18 black and white photographs taken by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The photographs mainly depict construction sites and equipment and are dated circa 1942. Only one photograph includes identifying information; this photograph shows the beginning construction of Douglas Dam.
- circa 1942
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
This is a collection of 18 black and white photographs taken by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The photographs mainly depict construction sites and equipment and are dated circa 1942.
The U. S. Congress formed the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in 1933 in order to rectify poor conditions in the Tennessee River Valley, including destructive floods, deforestation, erosion, and periodic unnavigability of the Tennessee River. As an independent agency of the executive department, the TVA is governed by a board of three directors appointed by the President (and subject to Senate approval) who serve for terms of nine years. Among the TVA's various projects are dams (including 26 built by the TVA), electric power, and research into such topics as clean coal, forestry, and wildlife conservation. The TVA is currently headquartered in Knoxville and serves an area of approximately 41,000 square miles.
Douglas Dam was built by TVA in the early 1940s to meet demands brought on by World War II. The hydroelectric dam is located along the French Broad River in Sevier County, Tennessee.
This collection is in one folder.