Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

A. F. Sanford Arboretum Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0638

This collection houses seven boxes of record books documenting the flora present in the A. F. Sanford Arboretum between 1930 and 1941. The plants are arranged alphabetically by genus.

Dates

  • 1930-1941

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

3.25 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection houses seven boxes of record books documenting the flora present in the A. F. Sanford Arboretum between 1930 and 1941. The plants are arranged alphabetically by genus.

Biographical/Historical Note

Alfred Fanton Sanford (1875-1946) was born to Edward Jackson and Emma Francillon Chavannes Sanford on February 21, 1875 in Knoxville, Tennessee. He was educated at the University of Tennessee (1891-1893) and published the Knoxville Journal and Tribune from 1898 to 1928. He was also the President of Sanford Realty Company, President of the Empire Building Corporation, President of Leasing Company No. 1, and Director of the Sanford Investment Company.

In 1928, Sanford sold the Knoxville Journal and Tribune in order to pursue a lifelong dream: to build an arboretum that contained an example of every tree native to Tennessee. Tended lovingly by Sanford and his gardner, Pleasant Wright, the final museum spanned 20 acres between Kingston Pike and the Tennessee River and contained a staggering array of Tennessee flora. Sanford offered his cherished arboretum to the University of Tennessee Botany Department when his health began to fail in the early 1940s, but the department refused it due to the high upkeep costs. After Sanford's death on May 22, 1946, the arboretum was subdivided. Most of the land is now occupied by Boxwood Park, which is named for Sanford's home.

Arrangement

Collection consists of seven boxes.

Acquisition Note

Eleanor Spence Sanford (Mrs. A. F. Sanford) donated these papers to the University of Tennessee Libraries in August of 1946.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480