William C. Dunlap Circular
William Dunlap sent this three-page letter to the citizens of Roane and Morgan Counties to tell them about his positions during a campaign for state legislator. He thinks they should use the interest from the $400,000 in the new state bank to fund school districts and hire teachers for three months each winter. He supports selling stocks in order to make internal improvements, especially canals. He calls for direct elections for the president and vice president of the United States. He also wants to build a state penitentiary for more merciful and more certain punishment. Dunlap closes by calling on constituents to vote for him and assuring them of his good will however they choose to vote.
- 1825 July 27
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
William Dunlap sent this three-page letter of extravagant prose to the citizens of Roane and Morgan Counties in order to tell them about his positions during a campaign for state legislator.
William Claiborne Dunlap was born on February 25, 1798, along with his twin brother Hugh, in Knoxville, Tennessee to Hugh and Susanna (Gilliam) Dunlap. He graduated from Maryville College in 1817 and began practicing law in 1819. He moved to Bolivar, Tennessee in 1828 and began his political career by serving as a United States representative from 1833 to 1837. He was a judge on the 11th Circuit Court from 1840 to 1849, when he resigned to resume his law practice. He returned to politics soon after, serving in the Tennessee Senate from 1851 to 1854 and then the Tennessee House from 1857 to 1859. Dunlap died on November 16, 1872 in Shelby County, Tennessee.
This collection consists of a single folder.
Special Collections purcahsed this document in 1988.