John B. Brownlow Letter
This collection consists of a single letter from John B. Brownlow to William G. McAdoo on February 4, 1890. In it, Brownlow recalls a speech that Andrew Johnson (who was then campaigning for John Breckinridge, candidate of the southern wing of the Democratic Party) gave from the Lamar House (now the Bijou Theater) in downtown Knoxville before the 1860 presidential election. Brownlow remembers that Johnson attacked Abraham Lincoln, saying that the South should not submit to his election, and asks McAdoo if he can confirm his recollections.
- 1890 February 4
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of a single letter from John B. Brownlow to William G. McAdoo on February 4, 1890. The letter concerns Brownlow's recollection of a speech made by Andrew Johnson in Knoxville around 1860.
John Bell Brownlow was born to William Gannaway "Parson" Brownlow, an East Tennessee Unionist and editor of the Knoxville Whig, and Eliza O'Brien Brownlow in Elizabethton, Tennessee on October 19, 1839. He graduated from Emory and Henry College in Virginia and then served a long internship at his father's newspaper. During the Civil War, Brownlow commanded the Union's 9th Regiment of Tennessee Cavalry. After the war, he served as a special agent for the United States Treasury Department (1865-1866) and then worked for the United States Post Office. In 1904, Brownlow and his son, William G. Brownlow II, started Knoxville's first real estate firm, J. B. & W. G. Brownlow Co. John Bell Brownlow died in 1922.
This collection was donated to Special Collections in 1966 by P.M. Hammer.