Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at The University of Tennessee

Henry G. Killgore Papers

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0132

The collection contains the personal and professional papers of Henry G. Killgore, a Justice of the Peace in Cocke County, Tennessee. Included in these documents are legal papers and write-ups, account keepers and receipts, and personal letters to family and friends. Also available are Henry G. Killgore's personal accounts which record land tract agreements, supply sales, and finances spent on the farm and food supplies for the Killgore family.

Dates

  • 1842 October 15-1896 December 8, undated

Language

The material in this collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact Special Collections.

Extent

0.25 Linear Feet (6 folders)

Abstract

The collection contains the personal and professional papers of Henry G. Killgore, a Justice of the Peace in Cocke County, Tennessee. Included in these documents are legal papers and write-ups, account keepers and receipts, and personal letters to family and friends.

Biographical/Historical Note

Henry Killgore was a Justice of the Peace for Cocke County, TN. The position of justice of the peace requires the handling of misdemeanors, small claims actions, marriages, and traffic matters. Found mostly in rural areas now, this occupation dealt with minor legal matters and resolved any disputes with the public. Henry Killgore practiced law in the Cocke County Courthouse, a now historic site that rests in the rural and small city of Newport. Some of the documents in this collection reflect the work Killgore recorded as an acting justice in many of his attachment cases.

Acquisition Note

This collection was donated to Special Collections by Henry C. Killgore in 1950.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480