Edward G. Harris Papers
This collection consists of 41 correspondences and commentaries by Edward G. Harris to his mother, grandmother, and grant aunt during his service in the United States Army Air Force during World War II. The letters discuss Harris's travel experiences, and everyday life such as accruing flying hours and life on the airfield. Some of the letters are redacted to remove sensitive information. The commentaries give further descriptions behind the correspondences.
- 1944-1945, 1984
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of 41 correspondences and commentaries by Edward G. Harris to his mother, grandmother, and grant aunt during his service in the United States Army Air Force during World War II.
Edward G. Harris was born in Morristown, Tennessee in March of 1924. He attended Morristown High School and entered the University of Tennessee as a freshman in electrical engineering in 1941. At this time, he was 17 and below the draft age. On December 8, 1942 at the age of 18, Harris enlisted at the Knoxville recruiting office. He was trained to be a radar operator. Harris served in the 63rd Bomb Squadron of the 43rd Bomb Group (Heavy) of the 5th Air Force.
After the War, Harris earned several degrees, including his doctorate in physics. He authored several books and taught at the University of Tennessee in the department of physics for 37 years. Harris also served as a consultant to Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
He married Sara Waldron Harris and the couple had one child, Heather Ann Harris.
Edward G. Harris died, February 1, 2003.
This collection was originally listed as a part of MS.1259. It was then listed as CSWS.WWII.1.0018 until receiving its current number.
Special Collections acquired this collection via the Center for the Study of War and Society.