Mildred McPherson Papers
This collection contains three series. The first series consists of the personal papers of the McPherson family, including programs and publications. The second series consists of McPherson family's correspondence, including family correspondence and soldier letters. The third series consists of the McPherson family's oversize newspapers and hand-drawn pencil drawings.
The material in this collection is all in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
2.5 Linear Feet (3 boxes 2 oversize folders )
The collection consists of personal papers, correspondence, pencil drawings and oversized newspapers created or collected by Mildred McPherson and her family between the years 1899 to 1988.
Mildred Hortense McPherson LaFont was born on November 20, 1921 in Williamson County, TN to Eric Coleman McPherson (1889-1968) and Lillian Hortense Sawyer (b.1895) in Tennessee. Her family was one of the first to settle in the Nashville area. Mildred McPherson went to school at several colleges including David Lipscomb College and the University of Tennessee to become a teacher. She married Augustus "Jack" LaFont on March 13, 1948 in Nashville, and they had three children: Jacquelyn, Charles, and William. Jack LaFont passed away on June, 27, 1979. Mildred's only sibling, Edith Evans McPherson (1919-2011), survived Mildred. Edith Evans McPherson married Francis Raymond "Doc" Toline (1918-2007) and had several children with him. The McPherson family was very close and often wrote and lived near one another throughout their lives.
Purchased in 2012 by Special Collections.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA