John W. Frazer Supply Request
This collection consists of a supply order given by John W. Frazer of the 9th U.S. Infantry, during the Civil War. The request is dated August 31, 1859 from Camp Osoyoos in Washington Territory. Frazer requested mostly food items which included; pork, beef, flour, coffee, and sugar.
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection consists of a supply order given by John W. Frazer of the 9th U.S. Infantry, during the Civil War. The request is dated August 31, 1859 from Camp Osoyoos in Washington Territory.
John Wesley Frazer was born on January 6, 1827, in Hardin County, Tennessee. In 1845, Frazer entered United States Military Academy at West Point. After his graduation, he was appointed brevet Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Infantry Regiment on July 1, 1949. A year later, Frazer was appointed First Lieutenant of the 9th U.S. Infantry Regiment.
He resigned from the Confederate Army in 1862, and in 1863, Frazer was appointed brigadier general. Frazer was then ordered to defend the Cumberland Gap "at all hazards" by area commander. After Major General Burnside captured Knoxville, he continued to head for Frazer's men. From September 7-9 1863, Frazer and his men fought it what today as the "Battle of Cumberland Gap". Frazer, his men and their weapons, were turned over to Burnside. This also gave the Union control of the Cumberland Gap, which it retained until the war's end.
After the Civil War, Frazer moved to Alabama to manage a plantation and then New York City for try and build a successful business. He died in an accident on March 16, 1906, in New York City.
Purchased by Special Collections in 2013.