Holston Paper Mill Account Books
These account books for Holston Paper Mill are a log of buyers who purchased from the company during the years 1825-1836. One book includes a daily log of each transaction made. The other book has sections designated for a specific buyer and their purchases.
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
0.5 Linear Feet
These account books for Holston Paper Mill are a log of buyers who purchased from the company during the years 1825-1836.
Holston Paper Mill was constructed around 1826 in Marhsall's Ferry in Grainger County, Tennessee and was the first paper mill in Tennessee. It was ran by David and Milton Shields by the firm D. & M. Shields & Co. The mill was located on Spring Creek near the Holston River, north of Morristown (now under Cherokee Lake). The mill operated from 1825 to 1861 and produced a fine paper from rags, lint, and wheat straw.
David and Milton Shields were uncles to John K. Shields, a Tennessee Supreme Court Chief Justice and a U.S. Senator, and W.S. Shields, a banker who provided the land to the University of Tennessee for their football stadium.
This collection consists of two boxes.
Special Collections purchased this collection in December 1967.