Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Oak Ridge School of Reactor Technology (ORSORT) Book

 Collection
Identifier: MS-3815

This 50-page book documents the first session of the Oak Ridge School of Reactor Technology. Locacted in Oak Ridge, Tenn., in 1959 with pictures of faculty, faculty information, operation supervisions, information about different countries' energy power, and pictures of students.

Dates

  • 1959

Language

The material in this collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 Box)

Abstract

This 50-page book documents the first session of the Oak Ridge School of Reactor Technology. Located in Oak Ridge, Tenn., in 1959 with pictures of faculty, faculty information, operation supervisions, information about different countries' energy power, and pictures of students.

Biographical/Historical Note

Oak Ridge School of Reactor Technology (ORSORT) was the successor of the Clinch College of Nuclear Knowledge, an educational facility located at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tenn. Authorized by the U.S. government, ORSORT was founded in 1950 by Naval Admiral Hyman G. Rickover and Alvin Weinberg. At the time, it was the only school in the U.S. where one could receive a comprehensive twelve month education and training in practical applications of atomic energy. The school was made known first nationally and eventually worldwide to U.S. enterprises and to U.S. allies involved in the development of peaceful uses of atomic energy. ORSORT closed in 1965 as funding ended and as select universities began offering education on nuclear engineering.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480