Skip to main content

SCOUT

Special Collections Online at UT

Deeds to the University of Tennessee

 Collection
Identifier: AR-0760

This collection contains photocopies of deeds of university property, with contracts listing who the property was bought from, when, and the conditions of the transaction. The deeds include landmark additions: acquisitions from Blount College, various farm properties, the president's home, and athletic fields. The dates here range from 1795-1927. The box also contains a guide to the deeds. Digital surrogates are available online through the TRACE Repository. The originals are on file in the Treasurer's Office.

Dates

  • 1795-1927

Conditions Governing Access

Manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 24 hours is needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet

Abstract

This collection contains copies of deeds of university property dating from 1795-1927, with contracts listing who the property was bought from, when, and the conditions of the transaction. The deeds include landmark additions: acquisitions from Blount College, various farm properties, the president's home, and athletic fields. Digital surrogates are online in the TRACE Repository.

Biographical/Historical Note

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville was established in September 10, 1794, two years before Tennessee became the 16th state to join the Union. It is the flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System. It was originally chartered as Blount College, rechartered in 1807 as East Tennessee College, then again in 1840 as East Tennessee University. It was among the first universities established west of the Appalachain Mountains. In 1879, it was renamed The University of Tennessee.

Existence and Location of Originals

The originals are on file at the Treasurer's Office.

Repository Details

Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository

Contact:
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA
865-974-4480