Alice Joyce Collection
This collection contains approximately 500 photos and clippings pertaining to silent film star Alice Joyce. The collection includes over 400 8x10 photos, approximately 60 11x14 photos, smaller candid photos, a booklet of newspaper clippings, and a flash drive of Alice Joyce images. The photos are primarily film stills and portraits of Alice Joyce, but there are also candid and family photos included.
- circa 1910-1930
The material in this collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
1.25 Linear Feet (1 Full Box and 1 Oversize Box)
This collection contains approximately 500 photos and clippings pertaining to silent film star Alice Joyce.
Silent movie star, Alice Joyce, was born October 1, 1890 in Kansas City, Missouri and died October 9, 1955 in Los Angelas, California. Joyce was married three times, to actor Tom Moore (1883-1955), wealthy New Yorker James Regan (1893-1939), and to director Clarence Brown (1890-1987). Joyce and Brown divorced in 1945. She had two daughters, Peggy Harris and Alice Moore. Before appearing in films, Joyce was a fashion model and a telephone operator. During the 1910s, she was the leading lady in many short films for Kalem studios, which was later bought by Vitagraph Studios. Joyce was considered the “Madonna of the Screen”. Some of her most notable films are The Courage of Silence (1917), Stella Dallas (1925), and The Green Goddess (1925). Alice retired from the screen to raise her teenage daughters and to do stage work.
This collection includes one full box and one oversize box.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA