This collection contains a pamphlet commemorating the history of the University of Tennessee at the 150th anniversary of its establishment (1794-1944). The pamphlet contains a condensed history of the university and pictures of the campus: the halls, The Hill, and an areoplane view. Also included are programs to the celebration held on November 17th, 1944, with lists of department heads and speakers at a day-long banquet and forum.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite and must be requested in advance. See www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
Conditions Governing Use
The UT Libraries claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants on www.special.lib.utk.edu for detailed information. Collections must be requested through a registered Special Collections research account.
0.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains artifacts from an event celebrating the 150th anniversary of the University of Tennessee's establishment. It contains a pamphlet with a brief history as well as pictures of the halls of the time. It also includes programs dated November 17, 1944 that show a schedule for a day-long banquet.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville was established in September 10, 1794, two years before Tennessee became the 16th state to join the Union. It is the flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System. It was originally chartered as Blount College, rechartered in 1807 as East Tennessee College, then again in 1840 as East Tennessee University. It was among the first universities established west of the Appalachain Mountains. In 1879, it was renamed The University of Tennessee.