Harold S. Fink Collection
This collection consists of correspondence, naval documents, publications, and photographs regarding Harold S. Fink's time as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II and time serving in Saipan before being discharged at the rank of Lieutenant Commander in 1945. Many newspapers and publications are photocopies.
Also included in this collection is an oversize scrapbook.
- 1930-1981, undated
The majority of material in this collection is in English. Some publications are in Japanese.
Conditions Governing Access
Collections are stored offsite, and a minimum of 2 business days are needed to retrieve these items for use. Researchers interested in consulting any of the collections are advised to contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in this collection remain with the creator. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library.
1 Linear Feet (1 half box and 1 oversize box)
This collection contains material regarding the military career of Harold S. Fink, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve who served during World War II.
Harold Swenson Fink was born in Garland, Texas on September 16, 1903. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1942 and served in Saipan before being discharged at the rank of Lieutenant Commander in 1945. He earned his BS (1925) and MA (1929) from the University of Minnesota and his PhD (1936) from Princeton University. Fink began his professional career at Hibbing Junior College in 1934 and married Magnhild Esther Ordal of River Falls, Wisconsin on December 5, 1942. An internationally recognized specialist on the Crusades, Fink joined the University of Tennessee's History Department in 1946 and taught until his retirement in 1974. He was also deeply interested in local history and researched the subject extensively. Fink died on October 4, 1981 in Knoxville, Tennessee.
This collection was previously listed as separate files among MS.1230, MS.1259, MS.1298, and MS.2012.
This collection was donated through the University of Tennessee's Center for the Study of War and Society.
Part of the Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections and University Archives, University of Tennessee, Knoxville Repository
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville TN 37996 USA